Thursday, April 1, 2010

Koda's Knee Surgery - The Day After

Koda had his Luxating Patella surgery on March 31st at Blue Pearl Veterinary Partners.

Blue Pearl Vet is a great animal hospital. Dr. Todd Murphy was great and very informative during our initial meeting. While Blue Pearl is not the cheapest option, I would rather pay a little more for better quality service. So far, Koda is doing great and we are starting our recovery process. Over the next 6 weeks, Koda will be taking progressively long (slow) walks and a range of motion exercise to help the joint not become stiff.

I struggled with having this surgery because Koda didn’t always limp on his leg, we could even go play fetch and he not limp on it. Then we would get home and he might step on it wrong and the knee cap would move out of place. The doctor said that every time the knee cap moved out of socket it would tear away cartilage and if not corrected, within a few years, Koda would have serious pain and loose range of motion. So far, I’m glad we made the decision to have the surgery, I don’t think I could live with myself if I chose not to have the surgery and in 3 to 5 years, he couldn’t run at full speed or play without having pain.

Here is Koda the day after surgery, It looks bad, but the redness is bruising and the stitches will come out in 2 weeks.
photo.wUZt5PuPIVvH.jpg
Koda is trying to not put weight on it and I’m sure it is still tender. Koda should have a full recovery in about 8 to 10 weeks.
He is so strong willed, this is going to be a long 6 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment