Saturday, July 25, 2009

A Day of Adventure for Koda


Today, Koda and I went for a little adventure. I took Koda on a hike at Percy Warner Park in Nashville. It was a bit of an adventure, we started off in a nice field and ended up on the other side of the park. I wasn't really meaning to go so far, but Koda seemed to enjoy the hike. If it wasn't for my iPhone, I probably would have been lost, the GPS came in handy and I was able to find another trail that took us back to the car.




Koda also was able to sport his new backpack from Ruff wear. Mini Aussies are suppose to like wearing packs because it makes them feel like they are doing a job, which Koda is very good at. Koda carried a fetch toy, some snacks and a small water bowl, I carried the water. It was a pretty hot day, but it felt nice in the shade on the trails. Koda did very well on our hike, he walked beside me when he could and I let him lead a little bit, I guess he thought he was pulling his old man along.



After our hike, I was going to take Koda to the dog park in Bellvue right down the road. We did a drive by first and there wasn't really anyone there, so I went to turn around and saw a sign for Edwin Warner Park and the Harpeth River. I thought it would be fun if I could find a place for us to play in the river. Turns out, there is a great place and it's not a secret. There were about 4 or 5 dogs (mostly labs and one golden) playing in the river, fetching float toys, and running around. This really was the perfect spot, part of it was about knee deep, and then another part that was chest deep.

Koda isn't the biggest swimmer, so I was hoping that if he saw other dogs swim, he would want to jump in and play. Koda didn't even go in until I took my shoes off and walked in. Once I was in, he had no choice. I guess because he was hot, or just wanted to be wet, but he started rubbing his face in the water and rolling around. Then he was the best I've ever seen him, he would play around with the other dogs, and then when I called him, he would run back to me and stand next to me like a little boy. While he normally comes back when called, it is a bit harder to get his attention when he is "in the moment" playing with other dogs. I think he was just happy to be off leash and running free!!


Koda never got into the deep part, but we are making progress on him swimming. I think I'm going to get a fetch float toy and if I through it in the deep end, we'll get luck and see a swim. The water felt great, it was nice since it was such a hot day.

After we finished playing in the river, we got into the car and he pretty much passed out. Koda sat down in the front seat and put his head on my arm and closed his eyes before we even left Edwin Warner Park. We had a great day and I'm really glad we found the Edwin Warner Park, I'm sure we'll be seeing much more of the Harpeth River very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment